Marvel fans around the globe are still trying to recover from the madness they witnessed in Avengers: Infinity War last year. It was a race to stop Thanos from collecting the six Infinity Stones and ending half the universe with a single snap of his fingers. All 18 superheroes from the previous MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) films came together to fight against Thanos and his children, but failed. Thanos not only killed our favourite superheroes, but also destroyed countless civilisations. There are six Infinity Stones - Power, Mind, Space, Time, Reality and Soul which control different aspects of existence.
Did you wonder where these six Infinity Stones were hidden all these years? Well, they were always there but existed in different forms until Thanos collected them to put on his Infinity Gauntlet. Here's a quick guide that will help refresh your memory:
1. The purple Infinity Stone or the Orb was introduced in Guardians of the Galaxy when the Guardians won the battle with Ronan the Accuser. The Accuser tried to use the Orb to destroy the planet, Xander. When the Guardians left the Orb under the protection of the Nova Corps on Xander, it was the first Infinity Stone to fall into Thanos' hand.
2. The blue Space Stone or the Tesseract was the second Infinity Stone that Thanos collected by killing Loki. Loki had given the Tesseract to Thanos to save Thor's life, but ended up losing his own at Thanos' hand. The Stone was originally on Asgard with Thor and his family. If you watched Thor: Ragnarok, you would remember how Loki managed to escape the destruction of Asgard with the Tesseract and how Thanos' ship came up in the credits at the end of Ragnarok. Infinity War starts with the aftermath of Thanos's attack on the ship.
3. The red Reality Stone or the Aether was first seen in Thor: The Dark World and was the third Infinity Stone that Thanos managed to lay his hands on. The Dark Elf, Malekith, had originally fashioned it into a weapon, but it was eventually taken by the Asgardians, who in turn and in a bid to keep the Stones together, gave it to The Collector in Knowhere as he already had possesion of the Tesseract. If you recall - Peter, Gamora, Mantis and Drax had travelled to Knowhere in Infinity War in the hope of getting the stone before Thanos. However, Thanos already had it and so succeeded in killing the Collector.
4. The orange Soul Stone was introduced in Guardians of the Galaxy and was the fourth stone that Thanos acquired. In one of the most tragic scenes of Avengers: The Infinity War Thanos killed his adopted daughter, Gamora. Recollect how Thanos tasked Gamora with finding the Soul Stone. She, however, burned the map that would guide Thanos to the stone's location on the planet, Vormir. On learning of her treachery, Thanos forced a confession from her by using her sister, Nebula, as a shield / hostage. The Red Skull guarding the Soul Stone had warned Thanos that sacrifice of a loved one was the essential exchange to get the Stone. Thanos thus threw Gamora over a cliff.
5. The green Time Stone or the Eye of Agamotto first referenced in Doctor Strange was protected by Doctor Stephan Strange, the Master of the Mystic Arts. He kept it in a secret compound, known as Kamar-Taj. When Doctor Strange learned that Thanos was after the Infinity Stones and close to killing Tony Stark, he surrendered it in exchange for his own safety. Avengers: Endgame will reveal if this was a part of a bigger plan.
6. The yellow Mind Stone was seen in the Avengers, but not revealed to be an Infinity Stone until Avengers: Age of Ultron where it was a part of Loki's Chitauri sceptre. This was the last stone Thanos collected and we are sure it was difficult to watch him take it. The Mind Stone, housed in Vision's forehead, was eventually destroyed by Wanda after a deadly fight in Wakanda between the Avengers and Thanos' children. Thanos, however, used the Time Stone to turn back time and repair the Stone, (that was even more brutal to watch!) by ripping it out of Vision's head.
Finally, having acquired all six Infinity Stones in his gauntlet, Thanos killed the superheroes with a snap of his fingers. Stop grieving the demise of all your favourite superheroes! Most of them are expected to come back to defeat Thanos in Avengers: Endgame.
Hang on! April 26 is almost here.