Russell Peters - the Indo-Canadian comedian who is known for poking fun at all cultures and ethnicities is THE MAN on our cover for July. Indian, American, Japanese, black, white, rich or poor – everyone is a butt for his ribbing. He questions the stereotypes and not-so-cool practices prevalent in society, with humour of course. Little wonder that Russell Peters is perhaps the boldest comedian out there today.
Mentored by George Carin, Peters performed his first show in 1989. This 48-year-old funny man, who was born in Toronto to Indian parents, was ranked the third highest paid comedian in the world by Forbes magazine.
Did you know these 5 things about your favourite comedian?
1. Peters learnt boxing to help him deal with the racist bullies in his school.
2. Before becoming a comedian, he was a hip hop junkie and DJ in Toronto in the 90s.
3. He proposed to his girlfriend Monica Diaz at an airport, announced the engagement on Twitter and married her in Las Vegas.
4. Russell Peters is managed by his brother Clayton, who co-wrote Russell’s autobiography Call Me Russell.
5. Back in 2007, Russell Peters became the first comedian to completely sell out the Air Canada Center in Toronto.