What do Mick Jagger, Megan Fox, Aamir Khan, Tanmay Bhat (AIB stand-up comedian) have in common? The ketogenic diet, the one Aamir Khan followed for the various looks in his blockbuster Dangal last year. This is essentially a low-carb diet that forces the body to draw energy from its stored fat when deprived of carbohydrates (a process called ketosis) resulting in fat loss. By limiting the carb intake, the body turns what it has into glucose and the liver breaks down fat cells into fatty acids and ketones, to be used as energy. With strict control, the results are visible within 15 days
1. Nutrition and composition: carbohydrates are restricted to 15-20gms, protein 1gm per lean body mass (LBM) + intensity of the workout; fats to 100gms
2. Carbohydrates: avoid cereal, pulse, fruits, skimmed curd and milk. Green vegetables work best for the carb intake.
3. Proteins: stick to lean protein with high biological value such as eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, skimmed paneer and protein supplements like whey isolates and casein.
4.Fats: good for you are saturated fats sources being egg yolk, coconut oil, small quantity of butter/cheese/ghee, unsaturated fats like olive and nuts and omega 3 supplements in the form of fish oil.
5.The keto diet is cyclical where a break is given in a month to load complex carbohydrates.
6.As it is highly diuretic, hydrate well and salt can be added to take care of low blood pressure.
7.Have eight meals a day with two-hour gaps
8. Protein through the day and tapered fat by night
9. Supplements: multivitamin, omega 3, vitamin C, vitamin E
10. Fat loss supplements: carnitine (alleviates the effects of ageing and disease on mitochondria, while increasing the mitochondria’s potential to burn fat.) and CLA (Conjugated Linoleic Diet)
11. Have probiotics.
By limiting the carbohydrate intake, the body turns what it has into glucose and the liver breaks down fat cells into fatty acids and ketones, to be used as energy. With strict control, the results are visible within 15 days
12. Unsuitable for those with liver, kidney, digestive issues and diabetics
13. A ketogenic diet is must be followed only for a brief period as it could have an overall negative impact on your health.
14 It causes an imbalance in nutrition as the intake is limited to fat and protein with no carbs and fibre
15 This can can lead to digestive issues, low blood pressure and light-headedness
TEXT KARISHMA CHAWLA ❖ PHOTOS HARSH MISHRA ❖ HAIR & MAKE-UP MEGHA JAIN ❖ MODEL RAHUL CHOUDHRY